Monday, October 1, 2012

The World is My Home


I have been blessed with fortune of doing some travel for a variety of reasons – work, vacation, and missions.  My first out of country experience was a trip to England when I was only four years old.  I remember very little, but what I do recall is filled with joy.

Living in southern Ontario a trip south across the world’s friendliest boarder is less than 90 minutes away.  I ventured to Florida when I was 16 to take in Disney experience.  I’ve ridden my motorcycle to Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and Kentucky.

In Red Square, Moscow
When my wife and I were first married and venturing out on our honeymoon, we did so without any planning.  When we awoke after a night in Niagara Falls we quite randomly decided to go out east (“Where do you want to go today?”  “I don’t know.  How about out east”  “Sure!”).  We began our drive and soon (14 hours later) found ourselves in New Brunswick.  We toured around New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island.

In Ocho Rios, Jamaica
In 1998 we moved out to Edmonton, Alberta.  A mere 36 hour drive from our home in Ontario.  We took time to visit Jasper, Lake Louise, and Banff in the Rocky Mountains.  We met up with family in Kelowna, British Columbia.  Toured through Calgary, Alberta and over to Vancouver, British Columbia.

I Love Canada!  It is such a tremendous country to take in, but you need time.  A lot of time.  I still have much to see and I hope to make many more visits to each province and territory.

I have been to Novokuznetsk, Ocinniki, and Moscow in Russia.  To Ciego de Avila, Camaguey, and Florida in Cuba.  To Ocho Rios in Jamaica.

Me, playing catch in Florida, Cuba
The children had not seen an 'American'
football before
And I long, I ache, to see more.

I posed the question to my Facebook friends, “If you could live anywhere, where would you choose and why?”  I expected some tropical and exotic replies, and certainly there were some: “The moon so I could fly,” and “Italy…just cuz,” and “Israel. Because it is warm all year but mostly because of the wonderful people, the culture and the incredible history.”  Instead, though, I was mostly surprised by people’s contentment and I questioned my own desire to go into the all world.

Many responded that they liked where they lived and wanted to stay in their current home!  “I actually love where I live (Ontario),” “Colorado.  I love the mountains in the summer, but my home the rest of the year (Ohio),” and “Florida for the summer and my home the rest of the time (Ontario).”

Clingman's Dome, Tennessee
Highest point in the eastern US.
Maybe I’m different.  Well, truth be told, I know I’m different.  I’m just not sure why.  I don’t really want to live anywhere, but I want to experience it all.  I long to see parts of the world that are vastly different than my own back yard.  To spend time in the mountains of Peru.  To hear the sounds of the jungles in South America.  To feel the emotion in Rwanda.  To experience the culture shock in Asia.  Just to see how others live.  And maybe find a fit in this world.  Or maybe, just maybe, the world is my home, and there are so many rooms that I just haven’t seen them all yet. 

If you have a few moments, take a visit at www.chrisguillebeau.com.  I think this guy is really on to something.  Even if it’s a lifestyle that doesn’t interest you, but you find yourself having to pack up and travel for work or missions trips, he has some ideas that you may find helpful.

Everyone has a story.  Many more chapters in mine are yet to be written, with many more destinations to come.  If you could live anywhere, where would you choose…and why?  How about you, Chris?



1 comment:

  1. great story....can relate to it alot..the world is our oyster & God's great artwork!!
    Peter

    ReplyDelete